Asparagus and Gruyere Tart.
(Subscribe by entering your email, (on the right ) to receive free recipes, articles on interested places and people and information on free give-aways and competitions.
1 sheet frozen buttered puff pastry
20-24 large fresh asparagus spears
4 thin slices Parma ham (any salty ham will do)
2 tablespoons (30ml) basil pesto
125 ml Mascarpone cheese
50 ml fresh cream or milk
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 egg yolk for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 220 o C.
- Using a knife, mark a 3 cm border on all four sides by running the knife gently along the pastry. Do not cut all the way through. This will allow the outside border to rise creating a ‘dish’ to hold the filling.
- Line the inside with the ham. Brush the pesto onto the ham.
- Steam asparagus for 2 minutes and then arrange the asparagus on the ham and pesto base.
- Mix mascarpone, grated gruyere and fresh cream and spread half the mixture onto asparagus. Egg wash the pastry case.
- Bake for 15 minutes. The border would now have risen. Remove very quickly from the oven, and add the remainder of the cream filling.
- Return to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes until golden brown. (All photography is by food photographer Vaughan Adams.)